You can upload multiple Q&As to your Alli Knowledge Base using the uploading feature (Alli User Guide – Setting up Q&A Chat). Simply having ‘Question’ and ‘Answer’ Columns in the file uploaded is enough for quick contribution to the Knowledge Base, but you can also use other available columns, or customize the column names to further extend the use of it. Let’s see how it works.
Please remember that Alli supports tsv, csv, xlsx, zip files for Q&A uploading. If you are looking for ways to add links or images in the Q&As being uploaded, please see the user guides below.
Columns in the uploaded files
- [Optional] Status: If this is ‘off’ (not case sensitive), the Q&A is not included in the Q&A search. If the column doesn’t exist or the value is ‘on’, the Q&A is included in the Q&A search.
- [Required] Question: The question part of the Q&A.
- [Optional] Similar Questions: Other possible questions that have the same answer. Alli uses this info to improve the accuracy of the Q&A search. Use line break to separate multiple questions.
- [Required] Answer: The answer part of the Q&A.
- [Optional] Hashtag: Hashtags to filter the Q&As and to limit the scope of the Q&A search. Use commas to separate multiple hashtags.
- [Optional] Delete: If the value is Y or True (not case sensitive), the existing Q&A in the database with the same question will be deleted after uploading the file. The answer part doesn’t need to be matched.
- [Optional] Memo: Add a memo to the Q&A item. To check the memo, mouseover on the memo icon at the bottom right of the Q&A.
- [Optional] Candidate ID: If you put Candidate ID under this column, you can delete the candidate under the Candidates tab. To find out the Candidate ID, please download Candidates from the Candidates tab.
Customizing Column names
Uploading with Images, Attachments, Links and Text Styles
We’ve updated Alli’s Q&A uploading feature upon many requests. Now you can include images in the answers while uploading Q&A.
Creating a rich Q&A database with images is a lot easier when you have a large number of Q&A. Let’s check out how.
If you want to understand how to set up a Q&A in Alli in general, check out the following user guide: Alli – Setting up Q&A Chat
Step 1. Prepare your Q&A file in tsv, csv, or xlsx format, and prepare image files you’d like to add to the answers in the same location with the Q&A file. Gif, jpg, and png formats are supported.
Step 2. Put the images you want to add to the answers using [!filename], including extension. Just like this:
Or you can also place the image files in subfolders. Put the subfolders in the same location with the Q&A file, and use [!location\filename]. You can use ‘\’, ‘/’, or ‘￦’.
Step 3. Compress the Q&A file, the image file, and the subfolders into zip format. Again, the flies and the folders should be in the same location.
Step 4. In the Alli dashboard, proceed to Knowledge Base > Add Q&A > Upload Q&A and upload the zip file. You’re all set! You’ll be able to see the images as part of the answers in the dashboard and Alli’s chat window.
Two small things to note:
- You can only add images as part of answers and not as part of questions.
- If you download the Q&A after adding images in the answers, the images will be represented as URLs. That’s normal; the files are saved in the URL, so you don’t need to upload the same files again.
You can also include links and text styles to answers in Alli. Let’s check out how to do this.
Please remember that images, links and styles can be included only in the answer part of an Q&A, and not in the question part.
To add links in your Q&A file, you should use [#LinkText|URL] format. Just like how it is done below.
Any links in your Q&A, whether they are added via uploading files or using dashboard Q&A editor, will be converted into the format shown above when you download the Q&A from the Alli dashboard. Hence, your links’ information is preserved.
Once you upload the Q&A file, check whether the links are displayed as intended or not. If you encounter any errors, you may use our dashboard Q&A editor to correct them.
Adding Text Styles
To add text styles in your Q&A file, you should use xlsx format or a zip file to include both the excel file and the images. Just apply the style to the text in your Q&A excel sheet and then upload the file.
There are a few important things to keep in mind.
- Bold, italic, and font color are the only format options available via the upload option. Underline and text size format options can be used via dashboard Q&A editor.
- You may see a slight difference in the font color as Alli text editor doesn’t support all the colors. Hence font color will be adjusted to the most similar color that is supported.
- Again, xlsx format only. Xls, csv, and tsv formats are not supported.
Let us know if you’d like to see certain new features updated in Alli. We can connect and work with you to keep Alli updated to better serve your needs.
- As with images, file attachments can only be added as part of answers and not questions.
- If you download the Q&A after adding files in the answers, the files will be represented as URLs. That’s normal; the files are saved in the URL, so you don’t need to upload the same files again.